Tuesday, July 3, 2012

Stage 1: Neuroticism

I have been studying for the EPPP these past couple of weeks using study materials from Academic Review, and I am finding myself feeling incredibly overwhelmed with the amount of material. This is not to bash the materials, I'm just realizing they don't work very well for me personally. I'm finding myself creating insane amounts of flashcards after also trying outlines - either of which I am not finding to be helpful in absorbing the dense material. I've decided to look at other study programs, specifically PsychPrep's program, which seems to present more condensed materials, and more prescribed program of study.

PsychPrep offers a free introductory package to those interested in getting a taste of their materials, including 1 section from learning/behavioral theory study materials, a set of mp3 tracks to listen to the associated lecture material, and the mp3 tracks and lecture materials for their free study strategies workshop offered in California (that normally the rest of us wouldn't be able to get to).

After listening to the study strategies workshop, I identified with a lot of the faults in my current study habits, like doing endless amounts of flashcards or outlines that don't help you absorb the materials. At this point, I am planning on using PsychPrep's program to get through the rest of my studying process. They can be a bit pricey, but I don't know a set of materials that isn't at this point, and additionally you can still receive some return when you sell the materials after you pass the EPPP, which I don't believe is hard to do considering all of the used EPPP study materials I replied to and they told me the materials were already sold.

Either way, if you can sample study materials, you might be able to get a feel for what is best for you. Most study material companies have return policies on their materials, so you should be able to purchase and give it a try. If it's not for you, return them and find a system that works best for your study method! In addition to PsychPrep, the Taylor Method also offers an online trial of their materials. If you are considering either of these methods, they are worth a try before you buy!

No comments:

Post a Comment