Friday, June 15, 2012

My Study Schedule: What I have learned so far


Here is my tentative study schedule for the EPPP. This took some experimentation on my part, and I would recommend that you do so once you have planned out how your study sessions will look. Initially, I told myself I was going to study certain sections of test using books from Academic Review as a study session. However, I realized that sections of the study materials vary in length, and I didn't think it was realistic for me to plan study sessions based on the length of materials. So now, I have changed my plans for specific amounts of time (hours). 

In planning a schedule, this is where knowledge about yourself and your study habits will also come into play. For me, I know I am not someone who can sit and study material for long lengths of time. I would rather spread out my goal hours throughout the week, with maybe a little bit more on weekends since I have more free time. However, I know other people who have no problem studying for long periods of time. Whatever you choose, be realistic!  

How you decide to create your schedule will be somewhat based on how much anxiety you have about the exam, and perhaps what advice others have given you on how much to study. From my supervisors at internship, I have been told that 5 hours of weekly study for 3-4 months would likely be sufficient, or at least it was for them. I don't think that is too off base for me, so I have designed a plan with just a little bit extra, just in case. 

The other thing that is important to do is to set a test date deadline with a little flexibility. This is important since the state board that you are applying for licensure for may or may not move as fast as you would like them to for approval to take the EPPP. Remember, you'll have to get an authorization to test form following the approval of your application for licensure, which gives you 60 days to take the test. Ideally, I would like to take the EPPP as soon as possible. However, I know that filing the appropriate paperwork following completion of my internship will likely take at least a few weeks, so I have put my absolute deadline for October 15th. 

However you design your study schedule, be sure to account for the other things going on in your life. As I am sure you know, studying for the EPPP should not be your entire life. You can see from my schedule, I have already inserted gray boxes where I won't (and probably shouldn't attempt to) study. Plan to study, but also make sure you still have room to breathe for life's plans. People in our profession can burn out easily, and you don't want the EPPP to contribute to that already! 

No comments:

Post a Comment